With Labor Day on the horizon, the DPO’s Labor Caucus has some good news to share: according to Gallup 71% of Americans approve of unions, the highest rating since 1965!
Americans once again understand how pivotal labor unions are to building and maintaining the middle class. This last year we’ve seen organizing victories at corporations that have fought labor unions every step of the way, like Amazon, Starbucks, and Trader Joe’s. And with the passage of the Infrastructure and Jobs Act, the CHIPS and Science Act, and the Inflation Reduction Act, Democrats will help create thousands and thousands of new union jobs.
We have a lot to celebrate this Labor Day!
And if you’re looking to celebrate on Monday September 5th, there are events in Lane County, Central Oregon, and SW Washington. Unfortunately, there will not be a Portland Labor Day Picnic this year. (For more information on the situation in Portland read this article: https://nwlaborpress.org/2022/
- WHEN 12 – 3:30 p.m.
- WHERE Splash Pool Picnic Shelter, 6100 Thurston Rd., Springfield
- WHAT Picnic/Potluck: hamburgers, hot dogs, pop and water provided; please bring a side dish to share. Family fun and door prizes. No alcohol allowed.
- WHEN 12 – 4 p.m.
- WHERE Pioneer Park, 1525 Northwest Wall Street, Bend
- WHAT Picnic, music
- WHEN 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- WHERE Haydu Park, 253 Kalama River Rd, Kalama
- WHAT Food by Spin Catering, bingo, kids games, music, and local politics, jointly sponsored by Cowlitz-Wahkiakum Counties CLC and Southwest Washington CLC.
Now more than ever, it’s critical that unions are promoted, protected, and continue to serve all Americans.