A RESOLUTION OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF OREGON
WHEREAS, the official reorganization and elections meeting of the DPO Elections Integrity (E.I.) Caucus was held on Tuesday, July 26, 2022; and
WHEREAS, this July 26 reorganization and elections meeting was called for by a quorum (46 members) of the Elections Integrity Caucus members on a petition, submitted to the DPO on June 24, 2022; and
WHEREAS, at the time a quorum of Elections Integrity Caucus members submitted their petition to the DPO calling for a July 26, 2022, reorganization and elections meeting, no other meeting proposals for the caucus had been forwarded, requested or noticed by any individual or group to the full Elections Integrity Caucus membership or the DPO; and
WHEREAS, as required by Elections Integrity Caucus bylaws, proper 30-day notice for July 26, 2022, reorganization and elections meeting was sent to the official caucus email list of all caucus members on June 25, 2022; and
WHEREAS, as required by the Elections Integrity Caucus member petition all caucus members also received follow-up emails which both reminded them of the July 26, 2022, meeting and provided a link by which any members could file to run for any officer positions; and
WHEREAS, at the official Elections Integrity Caucus reorganization meeting held on Tuesday, July 26, 2022:
- 169 certified members of the Elections Integrity Caucus attended the meeting, well over the 10% quorum requirements of the caucus bylaws; and
- Elections Integrity Caucus members attending at the meeting properly elected a president pro tem to run the meeting and elections; and
- Elections Integrity Caucus attendees approved the meeting agenda, meeting rules and rules for the caucus officer elections; and
- Nominations for all Elections Integrity Caucus officer positions were openly solicited and after the nominations and nominating speeches were concluded, attendees heard speeches from all of the candidates; and
- As per the Elections Integrity Caucus member approved election rules, ballots were mailed to all caucus members on July 27, 2022, to be returned to the DPO by August 18, 2022, and counted on August 19, 2022, with an opportunity for candidates to have an observer present; and
- Additionally, a video of the nominations, nominating speeches, and candidate speeches was sent to all caucus members on July 29, 2022, and an email from each candidate was forwarded to all caucus members the following week; and
WHEREAS, in response to the petition of a quorum of the Elections Integrity Caucus members to call for a July 26, 2022, reorganization and elections caucus meeting, the DPO Administration Committee supported the caucus members’ effort to hold a properly noticed official caucus meeting on July 26, 2022, and hold open and transparent officers’ elections; and
WHEREAS, all actions of the Elections Integrity Caucus members who petitioned for the July 26, 2022 reorganization and elections meeting, and the DPO Administration Committee, were conducted with the guidance and support provided by official DPO Parliamentarian, Alice Bartelt, PRP, and her authoritative opinion of July 8, 2022, which has been shared with the State Central Committee.
NOW, THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF OREGON RESOLVES AS FOLLOWS:
SECTION 1. We recognize and support the legitimate and reasonable efforts of a quorum of the DPO Elections Integrity Caucus to call for by petition a reorganization and elections meeting on July 26, 2022.
SECTION 2. We support the DPO’s efforts and actions to support the petition from a quorum of the DPO Elections Integrity Caucus calling for a reorganization and elections meeting on July 26, 2022, and for supporting those efforts by facilitating that official meeting and elections.
SECTION 3. We support the outcome and results of DPO Elections Integrity Caucus July 26, 2022, meeting and recognize and acknowledge that caucus officers elected from the balloting, which began on July 27, 2022, will be the official authorized officers of the caucus until new officers are elected at the end of their terms.
Resolution submitted by State Representative Travis Nelson, DNC Member
ADOPTED by the Democratic Party of Oregon on August 21st, 2022