For Immediate Release
Contact: Eddie Kurtz
Today marks the six-month anniversary of President Biden taking office. Thanks to his historic agenda, Democrats are delivering for Oregon families and building back better than ever.
With checks in pockets, shots in arms, and tax cuts for families, nearly 60% of Americans approve of President Biden.
“After just six months in office: economic growth is up, unemployment is down, and Oregon is roaring back thanks to Democratic leadership,” said Democratic Party of Oregon Chair Carla “KC” Hanson. “With checks in pockets, shots in arms, and huge middle-class tax cuts, President Biden, Gov. Brown, Sens. Wyden and Merkley, Congressmembers DeFazio, Blumenauer, Schrader, Bonamici, and our state Democratic leaders are delivering for the people of Oregon, despite Republicans’ best efforts to block progress.”
“The new Child Tax Credits will provide our family with crucial assistance at a time when we really need it, helping us pay for childcare this summer while my husband and I are working.” said Steph Newton, a mother of two in Linn County.
Here’s a look at a few accomplishments since President Biden took office and Democrats regained control of Congress:
- COVID-19: The Biden administration has administered more than 315 million shots, a feat that has helped cut COVID-19 deaths by 92 percent since January. In Oregon, the work of Gov. Brown and state leaders has led to more than 4.6 million shots being administered to date. Their leadership has saved an estimated 4,000 lives when Oregon is compared with other states. CDC data clearly shows that Oregon is among the top 5 states in preventing COVID infection and death, and Oregon is the best performing state of those that have major metro populations.
- Tax Cuts: President Biden and Democrats in Congress cut taxes for middle-class families with children, so that eligible families are now receiving up to a $3,600 tax credit per child.
- Estimates show that this will lift 49,500 children out of poverty in Oregon.
- American Rescue Plan: President Biden and Democrats passed the American Rescue Plan to help fund vaccine deployment and economic rescue payments, which were called “the most significant legislation” in a generation. Experts say it will cut child poverty in half by next year.
- Checks: The Biden administration has delivered $1,400 checks to more than 169 million Americans.
- Jobs: The U.S. economy added more than three million jobs since President Biden took office, going from creating 60,000 jobs per month to 60,000 jobs every three days. 2021 is projected to be the strongest year for the economy in seven decades.
- Infrastructure: As Chair of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Rep. Peter DeFazio spearheaded the effort in the U.S. House of Representatives to pass an infrastructure bill that will not only address critical infrastructure needs and create good-paying union jobs, but will also confront climate change. Along with Rep. DeFazio’s inspirational leadership, President Biden and Democrats worked across the aisle to secure a historic infrastructure deal that, if passed, will position the United States to win the 21st century.
- Health Care: The Biden administration cut premiums for people getting health coverage from the Affordable Care Act; four out of every five enrollees can now get plans for $10/month. More than two million people have signed up for coverage during special enrollment.