For Immediate Release
Contact: Tim McCann
PORTLAND – Oregonians traveling on I-84 will see a new billboard thanking President Biden and Senators Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkley for delivering on their promises to get urgent relief to Oregonians and Americans by passing the American Rescue Plan.
The new billboard, unveiled this week by the Democratic National Committee, greets eastbound travelers on Interstate 84 as they travel through Fairview and Troutdale toward the Columbia River Gorge. Located near Exit 16 (Wood Village), the billboard will be up for three weeks (Click here for additional images of the billboard, and here for a map of its approximate location).
“Oregonians turned out in record numbers last fall to elect Democrats who would soon deliver much-needed relief to help our state and our country recover from the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Carla “KC” Hanson, Chair of the Democratic Party of Oregon. “We’re so thankful for the leadership of President Biden and Senators Wyden and Merkley to pass the American Rescue Plan. We’re going to make sure that Oregonians know that Democrats delivered on our promises, and not a single Republican — including Cliff Bentz — voted to help put checks in pockets, get more shots in arms, and give schools the resources they need to reopen safely.”
In addition to thanking President Biden and Senators Wyden and Merkley, the billboard highlights some of the key features of the American Rescue Plan, which was signed into law by President Biden in March. The billboard display reads: “HELP IS HERE. $1,400 CHECKS. $$$ TO REOPEN SCHOOLS. $$$ FOR VACCINES.”
The American Rescue Plan is providing Oregonians with:
- $2.758 billion in state fiscal relief
- $1.5 billion in local fiscal relief
- More than $1.1 billion in relief for K-12 schools
- Economic impact payments of up to $1,400 per person (above the $600 per person provided in December) for more than 2.7 million adults and 971,000 children. This is 86% of all adults in the state and 86% of all children in the state.
- Additional relief of up to $1,600 per child through the Child Tax Credit to the families of 779,000 children, lifting 40,000 children out of poverty
- Additional relief of up to nearly $1,000 through the Earned Income Tax Credit to 264,000 childless workers, including many in frontline jobs
- Marketplace health insurance premiums that are $1325 lower per month for a 60-year old couple earning $75,000 per year
A press release from the Democratic National Committee, featuring quotes from DNC Chair Jaime Harrison, is copied below.
HELP IS HERE: DNC Unveils New Billboard in Portland Thanking President Biden & Senators Merkley and Wyden for American Rescue Plan
Today, the Democratic National Committee is unveiling a new billboard in Portland thanking President Biden and Senators Merkley and Wyden for delivering much needed relief to the American people through the American Rescue Plan. Because of their leadership, help is here: 86% of Oregon’s population — more than 2.7 million adults and 971,000 million children — will receive direct payments of up to $1,400.
This billboard is up on I-84, one mile east of 207th Ave. It will be up for three weeks.
“Folks in Portland and senators traveling home won’t be able to miss this message: Help is here because of President Biden, Senators Merkley and Wyden, and Oregon Democrats,” said DNC Chair Jaime Harrison. “Democrats passed the American Rescue Plan, which is already providing Oregonians with direct payments and resources to help manufacture and distribute vaccines because they knew help couldn’t wait, and Democrats aren’t slowing down anytime soon. Thank you, Senators Merkley and Wyden!”