Happy Valley, Oregon
December 10th-12th, 2021
The 2021 Democratic Party of Oregon Platform Convention will be held December 10th-12th at Adrienne C Nelson High School in Happy Valley, Oregon.
Platform Convention Schedule
Subject to Change
Lobby Doors Open for Check-In
Evening Plenary Session
Approval of Convention Rules & Election of Convention Officers
Doors open for SCC Credentialing
4th Quarter 2021 State Central Committee Meeting
1st Subject Committee Breakout
2nd Subject Committee Breakout
Nan Wood Honeyman Dinner
Lobby Doors Open for Check-In
Approval of 2021 Democratic Party of Oregon Platform
About the 2021 Democratic Party of Oregon Platform
At the Democratic Party of Oregon’s biennial Platform Convention we approve our Platform, which is a statement of our values, for two years. This platform is drafted in the months before the convention by the Democratic Party of Oregon’s Platform Committee, integrating feedback from Democrats across Oregon.
We also create a list of priority legislative action items which we send on to elected Democratic leaders to call for legislative action on a variety of topics.
Delegate – Delegates are the voting members of the Convention, elected or appointed from each County in Oregon, the DPO Special Group Caucuses. Officers of the Democratic Party of Oregon and some Democratic Elected Officials (Statewide office holders, members of the Congressional delegation, and Democratic members of the Oregon legislature) are automatic delegates to the Platform Convention.
Article – The DPO Platform has articles, this is how we separate the issues and values that matter to us as Democrats in our Platform. (Example: Economy & Labor)
Plank – Each article is made up of “planks” which is what we call the specific values statements that make up our platform (each “plank” builds our “platform”). (Example: We believe all workers have the right to collectively bargain for fair working conditions & compensation). Planks are a maximum of 50 words.
Legislative Action Item (L.A.I) – An LAI uses specific language for actionable legislation which the DPO encourages our federal or state legislators to support. At the Platform Convention a select number of legislative action items are chosen by the Convention as “Priority LAIs” for the next two years. (Example: We call on Congress to pass the PRO Act to support workers and working families.) LAIs are a maximum of 50 words.
Subject Committee – A subject committee correlated with each Platform Article will be held on Saturday. In these meetings, Platform Convention Delegates will work to prioritize the Legislative Action Items relevant to that subject.
The 1st draft of the 2021 Democratic Party of Oregon is found here. The Platform Committee knows that there are things that are missing from this draft and are soliciting feedback and support in making this the best Democratic Party of Oregon Platform yet!
The committee is also soliciting submission of Legislative Action Items. For an example of legislative action items, the 2018 Priority Legislative Action Items can be found here.
Feedback Submission Schedule:
- October 21st: Deadline for 1st round of feedback & 1st round of Legislative Action Item submission.
- October 21-October 31st: DPO Platform Committee reviews and integrates feedback and prepares a list of proposed legislative action items.
- by November 1: 2nd draft of the 2021 Democratic Party of Oregon Platform is released with a list of proposed legislative action items.
- November 10th: Deadline for 2nd round of feedback and Legislative Action Items.
- November 10th-20th: DPO Platform Committee reviews and integrates feedback and prepares a list of proposed legislative action items.
- November 20th: Final DPO Draft Platform is released. No additional changes can be made until the Platform Convention.
How to Submit Feedback or New Items:
There are two ways to submit feedback or new items for consideration to the 2021 Platform Convention.
- You can submit suggestions, feedback, edits, and new items through this form (preferred method)
- You can download this spreadsheet and use it as a feedback form. Once you’re done you can email your spreadsheet to [email protected].